Shoot-out bet probe

Fans enjoy this year's Snooker Shoot-Out at Blackpool's Tower Circus.

Fans enjoy this year's Snooker Shoot-Out at Blackpool's Tower Circus.

0
Have your say

OFFICIALS of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association have revealed details of a betting probe centring on the Shoot-out tournament at Blackpool in January.

This has led to the suspension of Joe Jogia, who withdrew from his match against Matthew Selt at the Circus Arena in Blackpool Tower due to a leg injury, shortly after a bookmaker reported the contest had been the subject of unusual betting patterns.

It is understood an unusually large number of small bets were placed on Selt to win the January 28 match with various bookmakers.

The WPBSA said that Jogia would face a hearing on July 25 in Bristol.

This was the second staging of the Sky-televised tournament in Blackpool. The high-speed tournament consists of single-frame matches lasting ten minutes.

In a statement, the WPBSA said: “As a result of the reported unusual betting patterns on the match between Matthew Selt and Joe Jogia that was due to take place at the Sky Snooker Shootout at Blackpool, Nigel Mawer, the chairman of the WPBSA disciplinary committee launched an investigation.

“The available evidence has been considered and in accordance with the disciplinary rules, he has decided that there is a case for Joe Jogia to answer in relation to a breach of the WPBSA members rules, betting rules.

“The case will be heard at a formal hearing of the WPBSA disciplinary committee in Bristol on 25th July 2012.”

The WPBSA said it was their chairman, Jason Ferguson, who decided 36-year-old Jogia, the world no.47, should be suspended from competing until the case had been dealt with.