Liverpool’s two-week search for a new manager is set to conclude today once owners Fenway Sports Group come up with acceptable compensation to take Brendan Rodgers from Swansea.
The 39-year-old was offered the job yesterday and his South Wales club have reluctantly allowed him to leave, even though he only signed a new three-and-a-half-year deal in February.
However, the safety net of that contract means Swansea are likely to receive a pay-off of between £4m-£5m once terms are agreed.
Rodgers is expected to sign a three-year contract and be presented as the successor to Kenny Dalglish tomorrow.
Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins admitted he could not stand in the Northern Irishman’s way, although he will insist on driving a hard financial bargain with the Reds.
Jenkins said in a statement: “Following on from discussions with Liverpool’s owners, Brendan has informed us that he would like to take up their offer to manage Liverpool.
“We are currently in talks with the owners to agree compensation. We are trying to finalise that within 24 hours.”
Swansea were contacted by Liverpool on Tuesday night and Rodgers expressed his wish to speak to the Merseysiders. Having done so, he told Jenkins he wished to take up their offer.
Rodgers moved ahead of Wigan manager Roberto Martinez, who held talks with Reds’ principal owner John Henry in Miami last week, in the pecking order.
He had initially rejected their advances two weeks ago as he did not want to become involved in a wide-ranging selection process.
However, when it became clear FSG had narrowed down their options to two he relented and discussions were conducted swiftly.
Jenkins added: “Although we are very disappointed to lose such a talented, young British manager, we didn’t wish to stand in his way. As always at Swansea City, we want people working here who are fully committed to the task ahead.
“We shall now refocus and quickly start the process of finding his replacement to continue the great work Brendan has carried out.”
Frank Lampard has emerged as a major doubt for England’s Euro 2012 campaign and faces a crucial scan today to determine whether he can travel with the squad.
The Chelsea midfielder suffered a thigh injury during a training session with England yesterday and there are concerns within the national team camp that the 33-year-old will be unfit for the tournament.
Should the worst fears be realised, England would be left reeling from the second withdrawal of an experienced midfielder this week, after Manchester City’s Gareth Barry was forced to pull out with an abdomen injury suffered during the 1-0 win over Norway.
Barry was replaced by Everton defender Phil Jagielka, and Lampard’s place would go to Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson, on stand-by despite a mixed first campaign at Anfield after his summer move from Sunderland.
Although manager Roy Hodgson had to submit his final squad of 23 with UEFA on Tuesday, he is permitted to replace an injured player.
Wayne Rooney is determined to make the right impression with Roy Hodgson as he aims to make sure of some involvement in Euro 2012.
The Manchester United striker is suspended for England’s first two group matches, but wants to play a part in the competition, which starts in Poland and Ukraine next month.
He said: “I feel good and I’ve got a few weeks before I can play. I will be ready if needed.
“It’s important I do my training right. I’ve had a long time to think about missing these games and obviously it’s disappointing. But it’s something I’ve dealt with really.
“With missing the first two games, you never know with the new manager if he’s got you in his plans or wants to have (the same) players involved in all the games. But I will get myself ready and as fit as I can be.
“It’s a tough group with some good teams. We have to make sure we’re focused on each game and take it from there.”
Asked about Hodgson’s contribution so far, Rooney continued on Sky Sports News: “He’s determined to get the message across to us on the training pitch and is very much a part of every training session.
“It’s great to have him on the pitch, pointing out things maybe we need to know as a squad.”
Aston Villa will today step up their efforts to make Norwich boss Paul Lambert their new manager.
Villa were finally set to make an official approach for Lambert as they look to find a successor to the sacked Alex McLeish, though reports emerged last night that he may have quit Carrow Road.
Manchester United are set for a commercial tie-up with General Motors’ Chevrolet brand which is to be announced in the Chinese city of Shanghai tomorrow.
United have a strong market presence as a club in the Far East, with research conducted on behalf of the club showing they have twice as many supporters in the region as Barcelona, their nearest rivals.