FLEETWOOD Town are fuming at Conference rivals Forest Green Rovers for going public on their move for striker Magno Vieira.
The Brazilian looks set to join Forest Green but Town manager Micky Mellon says Rovers have jumped the gun about his likely departure from Highbury.
It was a most unwelcome distraction for Mellon ahead of Town’s coronation as champions tomorrow, when they will receive the Blue Square Bet Premier trophy following their final match of the season at home to Luton.
Mellon said: “We haven’t even given permission for Vieira to go and I am very disappointed at the way it has come out.
“It is not the way to go about things, making it public like that. If Fleetwood had been accused of doing something similar, you can rest assured people would have come down on us like a ton of bricks.
“Obviously, we were aware that something was going on. There is always bound to be speculation but this wasn’t for public knowledge.
“We are still paying Vieira’s wages and we may even need him tomorrow.”
Forest Green’s move for the 27-year-old, Town’s top scorer last season, was confirmed by their chairman Dale Vince.
Mellon has voiced his concern about the ‘leak’ with his Forest Green counterpart Dave Hockaday.
The Town boss would rather be focusing purely on tomorrow’s 1pm kick-off, with a lot still riding on the outcome.
A win for the home side would seal a record haul of 106 points for the campaign, one more than Crawley Town achieved last season.
The Hatters need a point to ensure their place in the play-offs, alongside Wrexham, Mansfield and York. Defeat for Luton would enable Kidderminster to overhaul them with a home win over Mansfield.
Mellon said: “It is a big game for ourselves and a big game for Luton, and we want to go out with a bang.
“We have set ourselves high standards all season, and I would expect us to maintain those right to the final so we break the Conference record in front of our own fans.
“We want to put in the right performance in front of a full house on our own ground.
“I expect a reaction from a poor performance on Saturday (at Cambridge, where a 2-0 defeat ended Town’s 29-match unbeaten league run).
Fleetwood have no injury problems going into tomorrow’s match, which will be screened live on the Premier Sports satellite channel. The club reported yesterday that around 500 tickets remain available.
Luton are managed by Paul Buckle, who recently took over from the sacked former Blackpool player Gary Brabin.
Bickle was disappointed his side failed to clinch their play-off spot on Tuesday, when they were held to a draw at Gateshead.
He said: “Saturday is going to be exciting and we’ve given ourselves a chance.
“We weren’t at our best at Gateshead but we will need to be on Saturday.”
After the celebrations, Mellon and chairman Andy Pilley will start to draw up their blueprint for the 2012-13 season in League Two.
A number of players are out of contract, with some to be offered new deals, while others depart through the Highbury exit door.
Mellon has already lined up transfer targets but says his own future is not an issue.
The Scot has a year remaining of his contract as Fleetwood boss and he said: “I have not even spoken to the chairman but we know how each other tick.
“If we need to discuss it, we will, but I haven’t even thought about it and there are more important issues to sort out.”
Mellon was scathing at media suggestions that Fleetwood will be operating on a big budget in the Football League.
He said: “I hear people on the Football League Show saying we will have a huge budget. How on Earth do they know how much we have to spend?
“Rest assured it will be a budget that assures the future of Fleetwood Town FC for how many years.”
The Gazette has launched a free football app which is now available to download for Android devices (link below), the iPhone version will follow soon.