Town squad not yet complete as Till exits

Fleetwood Town v Mansfield Town.  Pictured is Peter Till.
Fleetwood Town v Mansfield Town. Pictured is Peter Till.
0
Have your say

FLEETWOOD Town report in for pre-season training tomorrow but there’s still room for two more attacking players in Micky Mellon’s squad.

Mellon told The Gazette last week that he hoped to complete his summer strengthening before the players’ return, and although that has not proved possible he still has “irons in the fire” as the club step up preparations for their first Football League campaign.

The Town boss said last night: “It’s still ongoing but these things do take a bit of time. We are still active in trying to stengthen.

“I’m certainly looking to add one or two to give us a bit more firepower, but everywhere else I think we are OK.

“It would have been great to have everyone in by Thursday but that does not always happen.

“There is still plenty of time for recruitment. Something always crops up and I’m glad to say we have the funds available for when it does.”

One player who won’t be reporting in at the club’s Ansdell training base tomorrow is Peter Till, who suddenly left Fleetwood yesterday when his contract was terminated by mutual agreement.

The 26-year-old winger made 18 appearances in his injury-hit season at Town, scoring his only goal against Barrow in January.

Mellon explained: “It just didn’t work out for Peter, which happens in football sometimes.

“We spoke about it and were in agreement that his future is probably best spent elsewhere.

“He found himself on the outside last season and the group hasn’t changed much, so Peter realised he could have been in the same situation had he stayed.

“Like any footballer, he just wants to play.

“Peter was unlucky with injury. He was one of the dozen or so players we had injured at the start of last season and he never really got into full training again until Chrismas. By then, Jamie Vardy was going strong and we were on our run of 29 games unbeaten, so it was difficult for him to get back in.

“I’ve had a few clubs on the phone asking about him since he became available. I’ll tell anyone who calls that he is a smashing lad, but sometimes circumstances are against you in football and that’s what happened here.”

Mellon is expecting his entire squad to participate in training tomorrow, including midfielder Anthony Barry, who missed almost the whole of last season with a knee injury.

The manager can’t wait, adding: “It’s my favourite time of year: everyone can get acquainted with the new players and there’s a great freshness about it.”