Fleetwood Town are expected to unveil their first summer signing today, describing the capture as “a major coup”.
Town are determined to make “a huge statement of intent” in their aftermath of their 8-1 aggregate humbling by AFC Wimbledon in their Blue Square Bet Premier play-off semi-final.
Chief executive Steve Curwood said: “One or two details are being finalised following intense negotiations. This huge signing will send out a massive signal to the rest of the league about our intentions next season and is the first step in improving what is already a very strong squad.”
Town have been linked with Conference champions Crawley Town’s former York City striker Richard Brodie, along with several fringe players from Blackpool FC.
Fleetwood last week announced the departure of ten senior players ahead of their summer rebuild.
Two set to stay include stalwart servants Jamie Milligan and Nathan Pond, both of whom saw their season cut short by injury.
Both are making good progress and are optimistic of a full pre-season.
Milligan said: “I had bone rubbing on bone for two to three months and it came to the point where I couldn’t carry on and needed an operation. They needed to drill into the kneecap and form a new cartilage but it’s feeling better.”
Pond, a Manchester City fan cheered up by Saturday’s FA Cup glory, faces a further week with his ankle in a cast but said: “I hope to be back and ready to go for pre-season.”
TOWN trio Sean Clancy, Scott Davies and George Donnelly have been named in the England C 16 to face Portugal in the International Challenge Trophy final at Northampton on Thursday.
All three have received their first call-up by manager Paul Fairclough for the Sixfields Stadium showdown.