Parker fires hat-trick for Fylde

Keigan Parker scores his hat-trick
Keigan Parker scores his hat-trick
Have your say

AFC Fylde 4 Cammell Laird 0

A 14-minute hat-trick by Keigan Parker gave new boss Dave Challinor plenty to smile about after his first match in charge of Fylde.

After James Heywood added the fourth four minutes in the second half, the Coasters were able to cruise to three Evo-Stik First Division North points against the second-bottom club.

The home side should have had more and restricted the visitors to a handful of chances, giving new keeper Kyle Clancy, the former Blackpool trainee signed from Barrow, the easiest of debuts.

Fylde’s other new recruit, Adam Sumner from Fleetwood Town, had a solid game at left-back.

The home side started the brighter, Lee Thorpe spearheading the attack with Parker and Ritchie Allen on either side, but Laird keeper and captain Phil Dalethorpe looked comfortable and made several good saves.

Fylde made the breakthrough from the penalty spot on 29 minutes, when Kyle Jones was judged to have handled defending a corner and Parker sent Dalethorpe the wrong way.

Four minutes later, he doubled his tally after some excellent build-up play, curling an exquisite shot in off the far-post from wide on the left.

Parker completed his hat-trick two minutes before half-time, when Gary Stopforth produced a good tackle just inside the Laird half and played a ball over the defence for Parker to chase.

The striker timed his run perfectly to slide the ball into the bottom left corner.

The Coasters carried on where they left off in the second half as Heywood collected the ball 20 yards out and fired low to the keeper’s left through a crowded penalty box.

It was all one-way traffic and top scorer Allen should have made it five on the hour but shot wide of an open goal after rounding the keeper with ease.

Further chances fell to substitutes Joe Booth and Ben Waddington late on, while Laird’s only notable opportunity of the half was driven well wide by David McNamara in the last minute.

Paul Jarvis rounded off proceeding with a 30-yard screamer which flew just over and former Colwyn Bay boss Challinor was pleased with the performance.

He said: “It was important to get the win today. I thought in the first half that it was going to be one of those games because we had two or three good chances but couldn’t score, but once the first goal went in I thought the lads did well.”

Back to back victories have left Fylde just two points outside the play-off zone with a game in hand, which they play tonight at the home of the league’s last unbeaten side, Curzon Ashton. The 7.45pm kick-off presents Challinor with his first real test.


Fylde: Clancy, Heywood, Sumner, Stringfellow, Steel, Stopforth (Booth 46), Barnes, Beattie, Thorpe (Jarvis 46), Parker (Waddington 61), Allen; not used: McDonald, Doughty.