Keeper joins up for Fylde run-in

Dave Challinor
Dave Challinor
0
Have your say

AFC FYLDE have been active in the transfer market again signing Hyde goalkeeper Josh Cook.

And they were today in negotiations to register a Conference striker for an end-of-season run-in that is looking more congested than ever.

Cook has been signed as cover on a dual registration, joining Paul Scott, Karl Noon and Jon Breeze, who linked up with the Coasters earlier in the week.

Cook was once on the books at Burnley as a scholar before linking up with Hyde.

Challinor said: “We have signed Cook just in case we need him in the closing weeks of the season.”

The new arrival was due to have a run-out for the AFC Fylde reserve team.

Challinor is also looking to recruit another goalkeeper on a similar arrangement to Cook, while he was locked in talks with a Conference to bring in a forward, whose identity the AFC Fylde boss declined to reveal until such time it was finalised.

AFC Fylde are due in action on Easter Saturday away to Stocksbridge Park Steels in their quest to cement a play-off place, but already that match is in serious doubt.

Stocksbridge were set to play FC United on Tuesday night, but the match was called off.

Challinor said: “The pitch was covered with a foot of snow, so it is already looking dicey.”

AFC Fylde were themselves due in action on Tuesday night, but the bad weather put paid to the Evo-Stik Premier Division clash away to Matlock.

With Stocksbridge looking in doubt, AFC Fylde were continuing to explore the possibility of re-arranging a home fixture with Matlock for Easter Saturday.

Challinor said: “It is not ideal, but if Matlock did play here on Saturday, it would mean playing them twice in a week.

“That is not ideal, but needs must.”

However, nothing had yet been finalised as Challinor spoke. With the weather ruining many clubs’ plans, the league season has already been extended and the play-off schedule pushed back.

- LIVERPOOL striker Luis Suarez could find himself in disciplinary hot water.

FIFA is still collating referee reports from the latest round of World Cup qualifiers, meaning it remains to be seen if Luis Suarez will face any retrospective action.

The Uruguay and Liverpool striker played for his country in their 2-0 defeat to Chile in Santiago and appeared to be involved in an incident with opponent Gonzalo Jara.

Video footage shows a coming together between Suarez and the West Brom defender at a corner, after which Suarez appears to hit out in the direction of Jara’s face.

Jara did not go to ground, with the pair instead trading words, while referee Nestor Pitana took no action, although he did later book Suarez for protesting, meaning he will be suspended for the next qualifier against Venezuela.

FIFA will decide if any action is necessary after they have received the referee’s report.