Chorley 1 AFC Fylde 4

Chorley's Andy Russell and Adam Farrell
Chorley's Andy Russell and Adam Farrell
Have your say

A hat-trick from Adam Farrell helped Fylde recover from a half-time deficit to claim a comprehensive derby win and jump to second in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier.

In a game which had everything, from penalties to two red cards for the home side, it was the Coasters who kept their cool to keep their unbeaten away record intact.

Fresh from an outstanding 4-2 win over FC United at the weekend, Fylde controlled the early stages as in-form Richie Allen and Michael Barnes showed their pace down the flanks, though there were no clear-cut chances for the visitors.

Chorley’s Kirk Millar forced a comfortable save from Ben Hinchliffe on 18 minutes but four minutes later Michael Taylor was judged to have handled the ball in attempting to block Adam Roscoe’s overhead shot and the home side were awarded a penalty.

Ciaran Kilheeney duly stepped up and sent Hinchliffe the wrong way to give the Magpies the lead.

That changed the momentum of the game and the home side dominated the latter stages of the half, with Proya Ahmadi and Millar squandering further chances, as did Kilheeney and Millar again as the half drew to a close.

In the second period, Chorley twice came within inches of doubling their lead, first through Ahmadi, who fired just wide, and then when Roscoe skied the ball over from five yards when it looked easier to score.

That gave Fylde renewed hope and on 58 minutes the visitors were level.

Adam Sumner sent a curling free-kick into the box, which was turned towards goal by Glenn Steel for Fowler to get the final touch past the stranded Jack Cudworth despite shouts for offside.

It was all Fylde from then on and eight minutes later Dorney gave the Coasters the lead against his former club.

Sumner broke well from halfway and fed Dorney, who found his way to the edge of the box, rounded his marker and fired past Cudworth.

Chorley were struggling to regain momentum and Fylde won a free-kick on the edge of the area after Cudworth caught the ball inside the box.

Despite appeals from the visiting players, the referee only showed the keeper a yellow card and the resulting free-kick was wasted.

Fylde did manage a third though with ten minutes to go. Michael Barnes, who was looking to score in a ninth consecutive game, made a great run into the box but unselfishly squared to Farrell, who rounded his defender and fired in his second.

Tempers flared in the home side, and Andy Teague and substitute Chris Denham both saw red in the space of a minute for dangerous tackles on Farrell and Steel.

Deep into injury time, Farrell expertly completed his hat-trick and then Barnes had an excellent chance to make it five when he went one-on-one with Cudworth but could only fire straight at the keeper.

The win lifts Fylde five places, with the best goal difference among the five clubs now on 21 points, and manager Dave Challinor was full of praise for his side.

Challinor said: “We knew this was a big week for us and we followed a good win on Saturday with a great result tonight. Certainly in the second half we’ve had a great performance and come out worthy winners.

“We started really brightly for 15 minutes or so, but we conceded the penalty which gave them a lift and changed the momentum of the half. But we’ve come out second half and the goals have come at a good time and changed the game. I don’t think the scoreline was a fair reflection of the game but once they had the two sent off it opened up for us.”

Looking ahead to Saturday’s massive FA Cup tie against Ilkeston on Saturday Challinor added: “The FC United game whetted the appetite in terms of atmosphere, so it will be good to see as many people as possible watching the game. Any footballer thrives on playing in front of big crowds.”


AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Haslam, Sumner, Hughes, Taylor (Steel 33), B. Barnes (C), Booth (Dorney 57), Winter, Farrell, M. Barnes, Allen (Jarvis 90+1); Subs not used: Dean, McCarthy.