Boss Mellon’s no loan arranger

editorial image
1
Have your say

FLEETWOOD Town boss Micky Mellon says he is completely satisfied with the squad at his disposal and has no plans to make any signings when the loan transfer window opens next week.

The Fleetwood Town boss, who recruited Tom Barkhuizen and Ash Eastham on loan from Blackpool ahead of last Friday’s transfer deadline, told The Gazette he tried to sign no other players last week and has no interest in testing the loan market at present.

Attacker Barkhuizen made his debut in Saturday’s stunning 4-1 win over Aldershot, while Eastham got his first taste of Town action in Tuesday’s Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie at Rochdale, which Mellon’s men lost on penalties.

The manager is delighted with his latest recruits, saying: “The Blackpool lads have done fantastically well and have melted into the squad straight away.

“They are good pros who have been brought up the right way and will be very important to us.

“We didn’t try to do anything else but we needed someone on the right side.There’s a week’s grace before another window opens but we won’t be looking at any more loans. We are happy with the squad we have and just want to keep everyone available.”

Mellon certainly isn’t short of options, with several players giving him food for thought in the midweek cup-tie.

Jamie Milligan was one, masterminding Town’s fightback from 2-0 down with his dead-ball expertise, while defender Rob Atkinson got through a vitally important 90 minutes.

It was the 25-year-old centre-half’s first appearance since scoring in the Conference win at Forest Green in January, and Atkinson hopes he is well and truly back in the first-team reckoning. He said: “It’s nice to be back. It’s been a long while coming but it was good to be part of the team again and to get 90 minutes under my belt.

“I’m fairly pleased with how I did in my first game back but obviously disappointed with the result. We looked down and out at 2-0, but we made a couple of substitutions and looked lively.”