AFC Fylde 5 Buxton 0

James Dean
James Dean
Have your say

AFC Fylde romped to their biggest victory of the season courtesy of an eight-minute hat-trick by striker James Dean.

Having trailed at half-time to a Joe Booth strike, Buxton were blown away by Dean early in the second half as the Coasters made it four straight home wins in all competitions.

The visitors were struggling for form coming into the game but started brightly.

They had the ball in the back of the net inside nine minutes but Kieran Lugsden’s goal was ruled offside.

After 36 minutes, Fylde were desperately trying to clear when a Buxton player went down in the box. Despite cries for a penalty, Fylde survived as the referee waved played on.

Within seconds, Michael Barnes had broken free on halfway and played in Jack Dorney, who shot into the side netting from inside the area.

However, within a minute, Fylde had the lead thanks to a well-placed shot from Booth, who connected well with a square ball from Dorney on the edge of the area and fired low into the left corner.

Within two minutes of the restart, Buxton player/assistant manager Scott Maxfield fired wide of the goal from distance, and this proved to be the last real chance of the game for the visitors as Fylde began to dominaten.

Dean scored his first with a bullet of a header on 51 minutes, jumping high and expertly converting debutant left-back Steve Haslam’s deep cross.

He scored again four minutes later when another good ball over the top from Haslam gave him time and space to run into the box, play a one-two with Michael Barnes and squeeze the ball between keeper and post.

Dean duly completed his hat-trick on 59 minutes, when loan striker Richie Allen’s cross deflected off Ian Deakin and straight to Dean, who blasted the ball home from close range.

Michael Barnes was rewarded with a goal of his own to round off the rout in the 77th minute.

After collecting the ball in his own half and turning his marker, he ran to the edge of the Buxton box, rounded another defender and fired past the full-stretch keeper.

Manager Dave Challinor made a triple substitution with 12 minutes left and Adam Farrell had the last meaningful effort on goal four minutes from time, his header landing on the roof of the net.

Challinor said: “It was just deserts for all the hard work the lads have put in in training. They have probably been trying a bit too hard in games up until last week.

“After we’d scored in the second half it was an opportunity for the lads to enjoy the game.

“The hat-trick will hopefully give Deano the boost he needs and go on. We believe in him massively, but he just needed a break.

The Coasters have moved up two places to ninth, just two points outside the play-off zone and face a tricky visit to Nantwich Town tomorrow.


AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Haslam, Sumner (Jarvis 78), Hughes, Taylor, B. Barnes (C), Booth, Dorney, Dean (Farrell 78), M. Barnes (McCarthy 78), Allen; not used: Tennant, Carden.