AFC Fylde 3 Ramsbottom United 1

A cheeky back heel from Adam Sumner
A cheeky back heel from Adam Sumner
Have your say

AFC Fylde secured their place in the hat for the second qualifying round of the FA Cup, thanks to this victory over a side from a division below them, Evo-Stik One North.

The Coasters were pegged back within a minute of taking the lead, but dominated the second half to seal victory with goals from Bradley Barnes and Joe Booth.

Having suffered their first defeat of the season in midweek, Rammy came out strong and should have taken the lead after three minutes.

Lee Gaskell pounced on a defensive error in the box by Matty Hughes, but thankfully for Fylde he could only fire wide.

Four minutes later, prolific new striker Jack Dorney created two great chances for Fylde, but James Dean and then Booth were frustrated by a tight defensive line when trying to get their shots off.

After forcing a couple of corners, Fylde’s pressure finally paid dividends on 32 minutes, when a fantastic through-ball from Dorney was met first time by Michael Barnes, who beat the goalkeeper and a defender to the ball on the edge of the area to open the scoring.

But, as has been the case in recent matches, Fylde failed to keep the lead and direct from the restart Smalley found space to cut inside and fire the equaliser into the bottom corner from a tight angle.

Ten minutes before the break, Rammy almost went ahead after more good work by Smalley, but this time he shot wide of the mark.

Philip Dean should have put the visitors ahead, but Ben Hinchliffe read his strike well right on 

The second period was a much more one-sided affair, as Rammy began to fade, Fylde piled on the pressure in search of a winner.

Dean, Matty Hughes and Dorney had chances, though Smalley continued to look dangerous but shot straight at the keeper on the hour.

The killer blow for Rammy came on 72 minutes as Bradley Barnes scored with an elaborate overhead kick from eight yards out, finishing a move started from his own half by Booth.

Michael Barnes almost added a third, seven minutes from time, after a mazy run into the box but Shenton was equal to the shot.

The win was secured when Booth latched on to a knockdown in the box, and he spun and shot into the top corner.

Manager Dave Challinor was happy to get over this first hurdle, but was critical of the overall display.

He said: “We’ve got lads who have played at a higher level and lads who have the ability to play higher, and the goal we conceded was scored by movement I would like to see us making.

“It was poor from us defensively, but their lad showed some good desire to get into that position.

“We were disappointed with how we started the game, and I felt we didn’t particularly have a go. I said at half-time that I expected a reaction from them, or I’d make changes within five or 10 minutes.

“I don’t think we improved that much, but we did enough to win the game and I’m delighted to be in the next round.”

The draw takes place today, but it’s back to league action on Saturday, when Buxton come to Kellamergh Park.


Fylde: Hinchliffe, Carden, Sumner, Hughes, Taylor, B. Barnes (C), Booth, Dorney (Farrell 77), Dean, M. Barnes, McCarthy (Jarvis 63); subs not used: Tennant, Doughty, Winter, Steel.