Tom Ince holds Cardiff talks

Tom Ince in action for Blackpool as they beat Penrith in the club's first pre-season game
Tom Ince in action for Blackpool as they beat Penrith in the club's first pre-season game
0
Have your say

Paul Ince insists the decision on his son Tom’s Blackpool future is out of his hands.

More than a week after Pool accepted Cardiff City’s bid for the 21-year-old, the winger finally travelled to South Wales yesterday to hold talks with manager Malky Mackay.

Ince is taking his time over what is the biggest decision of his life.

He played 45 minutes and scored in Pool’s friendly win at Penrith on Saturday and was expected to return to training today.

The fact that his father is the Seasiders’ boss complicates the issue, although Ince senior insists the decision is now Tom’s alone.

The Pool boss said: “It’s not my decision, it’s Thomas’. I can only advise Thomas in what I think is right.

“He’s 22 this year and sensible enough to know what he wants to do.

“It would be great for me to have him at Blackpool for another year but, yes, it would be great to see him play in the Premier League. I am just going to leave myself out of it and let him decide.”

Ince fired 18 goals for the Seasiders last season and would be a huge loss at Bloomfield Road.

While Cardiff is obviously tempting, the England U21 star is considering starting the season at Blackpool and seeing what other offers are made before the transfer window closes at the end of next month.

His father added: “Thomas knows he will play in the Premier League one day but there’s no rush.

“He has said he’s happy at Blackpool and really enjoys his football.

“He enjoys the people he plays with here and the way the fans allow him to express himself.

“Thomas only came back from holiday last week, so he’s not had much time to think about the offer from Cardiff.

“If this move appeals to him, then we will talk about it and speak to everyone, but he’s comfortable at Blackpool.”