Scot free to join Pool

Target Kirk Broadfoot in action this season for Rangers against East Stirling.

Target Kirk Broadfoot in action this season for Rangers against East Stirling.

8
Have your say

BLACKPOOL are set to sign Scotland international Kirk Broadfoot.

The 28-year-old defender left fallen giants Rangers by mutual consent last Thursday.

Broadfoot was in Blackpool yesterday for a medical after agreeing terms at the end of last week.

And The Gazette understands the right-back will sign at Bloomfield Road this afternoon.

Club secretary Matt Williams said: “There was no rush to beat the transfer deadline with Kirk as he is a free agent.

“We spoke to him last week and everything was agreed, so it was just a case of actually getting him to Blackpool for a medical.”

Broadfoot boasts plenty of top-level experience, having made over 100 appearances for Rangers.

He arrived at Ibrox in 2007 and was a regular starter in three SPL title-winning sides. As well as making four starts for Scotland, Broadfoot has played in the Champions League and UEFA Cup.

And he leaves Rangers with the best wishes of manager Ally McCoist, who said: “We would just like to thank him very much for his services. Kirk agreed with (chief executive) Charles Green and the club that his contract will be made null and void and he will be free to leave the club.”

Pool boss Ian Holloway hinted that another new face could soon arrive at Bloomfield Road.

Liverpool’s Danny Wilson and Southend’s Ryan Hall almost joined the club on deadline day.

The deals stalled at the last moment but both could complete the move when the loan window reopens next week, though Holloway says another player could join in the meantime.

The Pool boss said: “We are hoping to have Broadfoot with us shortly and maybe another, someone who hasn’t been mentioned as yet but a player I’m keen to get in and work on. We’ll see if we can get that deal done early this week.”

Holloway has repeatedly stated his dislike for transfer windows. Star players Tom Ince and Matt Phillips were both linked with moves, which the Pool boss says he could have done without.

He added: “Now the transfer window is closed we can get everyone back looking in the right direction.

“You have four games in two weeks, and now we have to wait another two weeks for the next one (because of the international break).”

“We have been able to get some attacking players into our squad who I can work with in Nathan Eccleston and Nathan Delfouneso.

“I wanted to bring people in who would put pressure on the lads up top, so they don’t think they are playing every week. I’m delighted to have both of them in and I hope we can add a couple more.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest Blackpool FC news.

************

A STRONG Blackpool reserve side lost 2-1 to Manchester United yesterday.

Elliot Grandin, who netted for the Seasiders, was among the first-team squad players in the side. Bob Harris, Chris Basham, Scott Robertson, Ludo Sylvestre, Alberto Noguero and James Caton also played.

The Gazette has launched a FREE football app which is now available to download on iPhone and Android Android devices.