Blackpool are refusing to give up on signing Jamie O’Hara despite competition from Championship clubs.
Last season’s player of the year O’Hara was offered a two-year deal last month, but following the departure of Lee Clark many gave up hope of an agreement being reached.
But The Gazette understands new boss Neil McDonald held talks with the 28-year-old last week in an attempt to lure him back to Bloomfield Road, although it’s believed he would prefer to stay in the Championship.
O’Hara currently has a number of interested parties, including Nottingham Forest, Fulham and Queens Park Rangers, but no agreement with any of those is yet in place.
McDonald is continuing his squad rebuild at Bloomfield Road and is hoping a couple more signings will be completed this week.
Defender Clark Robertson became McDonad’s fourth signing this week, following the arrivals of goalkeepers Colin Doyle and Kyle Letheren as well as midfielder Brad Potts.
Blackpool currently have 18 professional players on their books, although several are youngsters unlikely to feature in the first-team squad in the short term.
As many as 10 more new faces are needed at Bloomfield Road and McDonald says he’s hoping for a couple this week.
The new manager said: “We’ve got a few irons in the fire and are trying to get answers.
“The response I’ve had so far has been really good and we’re looking to bring in at least two this week.
“We still need to strengthen and we still need plenty of players, so we’ll be on the phone all the time, all the way until we return for training on the June 29.”