Holloway not over sub snub

editorial image
0
Have your say

REFEREEING supremos can expect a call from Ian Holloway over the next 24 hours.

The Pool boss plans to contact ref chiefs’ Mike Riley and David Allison to ask why he wasn’t allowed to make a substitution in Tuesday’s 2-2 draw at Coventry.

Holloway is still angry about the controversial moment at the Ricoh Arena when he was prevented from making a substitution ahead of a corner from which the Sky Blues scored.

He considers it a gross injustice that Pool were forced to defend the flag-kick with ten men – Ian Evatt was injured – and an irate Holloway was sent to the stand after confronting the referee.

The Pool boss plans to contact both Riley, who is general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials, and Allison, the man in charge of Football League referees.

Holloway said: “I had this happen to me last year (against Blackburn in the Premier League) and I am going to speak to them both about it.

“My behaviour since I was fined last year has been so much better.

“Yes, I did jump around on Tuesday because it was obvious we should have been allowed to make a substitution.

“It is just not fair for them to be allowed to make a sub and us not to be, especially when I have lost my centre-half and we had to defend a corner.

“All the officials had to do was stop the game to let our man on, so at least it would have been 11 v 11.

“Why should we be penalised when my centre-half gets injured?

And the bloke (fourth official) who said he didn’t have the card (needed to make the substitution) isn’t telling the truth. That should be known and that’s why I’ve spoken out.

“Next thing I know I was sent up to the stand and I still can’t believe the whole thing happened.”

It is a year since Holloway was last in trouble with the authorities. Last September, he admitted to an FA charge of improper conduct and was given a one-match touchline ban and a £9,500 fine for his language and behaviour towards match officials following the 2-1 home defeat to Blackburn.

His only other brush with the law since arriving at Bloomfield Road was a two-match ban for improper conduct after Pool had two players sent off in an FA Cup tie against Ipswich in January last year.

Holloway added: “If they are going to charge me, that’s fine as long as they charge the fourth official as well for not doing his job properly.

“I am going to get myself into trouble I know, but let’s see what they say.”