Cubero ‘needed to get out’ of Blackpool

Jose Cubero
Jose Cubero
0
Have your say

Jose Cubero says he “needed to get out of Blackpool” after agreeing his return to Costa Rica.

Injuries and work permit issues have blighted the midfielder’s 18 months at Bloomfield Road and Cubero claims to have agreed a deal with former club Herediano, having been allowed to leave Pool by manager Neil McDonald.

The 28-year-old said: “I am very happy with the decision that was taken. I needed to get out of Blackpool.”

Cubero has started only eight games this season and would be out of contract in the summer.

He watched Saturday’s defeat to Port Vale before being allowed to fly to Costa Rica for talks and to complete a move back home.

McDonald said: “Jose hasn’t been able to force himself into the team. When he has, he has played as well as he probably feels he can.”

Pool are yet to confirm the deal to take Cubero back to his homeland, which is believed to be worth a fraction of the £250,000 fee they paid for him almost 18 months ago.

The Costa Rica international, who had been expected to sign for Deportivo Saprissa and had talks with other clubs, said: “I am very happy. There will be no issues with me settling in.I want to play with Herediano.”