Rose craves big fight action

Rose - on the attack against Kostov
Rose - on the attack against Kostov
0
Have your say

Blackpool boxer Brian Rose reflected on his emphatic win over Stiliyan Kostov in Birmingham and admitted: “At times I got bored!”

Rose scored a routine points win over the East European at the Barclaycard Arena in Birmingham, after which he said: “I found the fight boring at times, but I had to box to orders, use my jab and my feet and not put my head in, which I had been doing in recent fights, not do anything stupid to risk a cut on my nose.

“There was the odd occasion when I did put my head in to try and have a fight – but then I heard (trainer) Bobby Rimmer shouting instructions from the corner not to do that, so I did what I was told!”

Rose added: “I think I won every round – I had to be careful because though Kostov had never fought anyone of my calibre, he had 16 knockout wins on his record.”

Now Rose is looking to take a major step up in level, hopefully at the Manchester Arena on December 10 when Anthony Joshua is due to defend his world heavyweight title.

The Blackpool boxer said: “I want a big fight before Christmas, and the Joshua bill is what I am looking at.”

Joshua’s proposed world heavyweight title fight with Wladimir Klitschko is now set for the spring after a December 10 date was ruled out.

Promoter Eddie Hearn announced that, with the Ukrainian suffering from a “minor injury” and no decision over whether the WBA title would be on the line, the fight could no longer happen on the date suggested.

Joshua will now fight a different opponent before Christmas, with a March or April date more likely for the hugely anticipated bout with Klitschko.

Hearn said: “We’ve been in deep negotiations for a few weeks now waiting on the decision from the WBA.

“I was made aware that Wladimir picked up a minor injury late last week but regardless of that, with just over six weeks to go until December 10, it’s unrealistic to put together a fight of this magnitude and give it the full build-up it deserves.

“There will be an official announcement on Joshua v Klitschko coming very soon, but for now we are seeking a new foe for December 10 and building a huge card for Manchester.

“We decided with Bernd Boente [Klitschko’s promoter], let’s get this over the line now for March or April.

“Fans will hopefully get something official this week. The WBA are supposed to give their decision today [Monday] or tomorrow but I believe that is going to be positive for Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko.

“Once that is, I think we’ll move forward and sign terms this week. We’ll announce that fight for the spring and we’ll be able to give it the build-up it deserves.”

Joshua’s opponent on December 10 could now be IBF mandatory challenger Joseph Parker, Bulgaria’s Kubrat Pulev or fellow British Olympian David Price. Parker has indicated he is more likely to fight Andy Ruiz Jr for the WBO title in his native New Zealand.