The demolition of the three Blackpool tower blocks has been put on hold.
Elizabeth Court, Churchill Court and Walter Robinson Court were due to be brought down by an explosive demolition on Sunday May 15.
However Blackpool Council has now revealed a delay to works the site with more time needed to ensure the safe demolition of the blocks.
Steve Walker, commercial manager for housing developer Lovell which is leading the Queens Park regeneration, said: “We are very disappointed that the demolition will not be happening on the date planned, however, the most important consideration is that the work goes ahead safely.
“Our demolition subcontractor has advised that more time is needed and the demolition has therefore been postponed until later this summer. We will continue to keep residents fully informed.”
Coun Gillian Campbell, Deputy Leader of Blackpool Council, said: “We have been notified by our contractors, Lovell, that the preparatory work needed for the safe demolition of the tower blocks will not be complete in time for May 15.
“While this is disappointing, as residents had already been notified of the date, the priority is for the work to be carried out safely not quickly.
“We have to listen to what the experts are telling us and if they say the demolition can’t take place on that day then we are in agreement with them.
“All affected residents will receive a letter to inform them that the demolition has been delayed. A new date will be set in the coming weeks.”
The difficulties of tower block demolition were highlighted at the weekend when two buildings in Seaforth on Merseyside failed to collapse.