Letters - February 11, 2016

Blackpool fans in high spirits as their side head towards victory and a valuable three points

Photographer Rich Linley/CameraSport

Football - The Football League Sky Bet League One - Blackpool v Gillingham - Saturday 30th January 2016 - Bloomfield Road - Blackpool

� CameraSport - 43 Linden Ave. Countesthorpe. Leicester. England. LE8 5PG - Tel: +44 (0) 116 277 4147 - admin@camerasport.com - www.camerasport.com

Blackpool fans in high spirits as their side head towards victory and a valuable three points Photographer Rich Linley/CameraSport Football - The Football League Sky Bet League One - Blackpool v Gillingham - Saturday 30th January 2016 - Bloomfield Road - Blackpool � CameraSport - 43 Linden Ave. Countesthorpe. Leicester. England. LE8 5PG - Tel: +44 (0) 116 277 4147 - admin@camerasport.com - www.camerasport.com

1
Have your say

SPORT

AFC Wimbledon can show you the way

This meeting between the owners of Blackpool FC and the club’s supporters is going to be fraught with suspicion, and rightly so.

The owners have not won any friends during this, shall we say, bullish confrontation.

I have a suggestion for you, the fans – start your own football club, Blackpool United is a suggestion.

I base this on what happened at Wimbledon when MK Dons moved to Milton Keynes.

With the inception of AFC Wimbledon in the wake of the football club’s departure, they have won virtually every trophy in the leagues they have played in, a real achievement.

I suggest you approach your Latvian friend; my thought is he will show an interest.

I suggest you look into Wimbledon’s history; you will be amazed, because the fans have retained 75 per cent ownership. Incidentally the other 25 per cent went to secure stadium access.

Please remember, you already have the fanbase, which is nine points of the law.

Good luck to you all.

Bruce Allen

via email

ENERGY

How are we going to keep the lights on?

With all the debate going on just now in the energy industry, three news items in the national press, which could have dire consequences, seem to have gone unnoticed.

It seems the new-build nuclear power plant at Hinkley Point in Somerset has been put on hold by EDF, due to funding issues, and build problems at a similar plant in Flamanville, France.

The second item concerns the closure of Fiddlers Ferry near Warrington, 75 per cent of which is shutting down due to carbon taxes. The third item also concerns a coal-fired power station that is closing at Rugeley, in Staffordshire.

The power supply industry in Britain is hanging by a very thin thread, and the closure of more power stations before they can be replaced by nuclear should be a cause of great concern.

No matter what you think of the issues surrounding climate change and the burning of fossil fuels, we have entered a situation where environmental policies have created a perfect storm.

So far this winter it has not been very cold, and the power has been kept on. Although we came very close to a shutdown in November last year.

If we do not bring on line some major sources of energy and green costs keep closing power stations, the lights will be going out across the country.

Gordon McCann

via email

TRANSPORT

Let’s have a return to council colours

I am disappointed the way Blackpool is losing its character.

In the past all Blackpool trams, buses and other forms of transport were painted green and cream. But now these vehicles are painted in a hotch-potch of designs that don’t mean anything.

I would like to see a return to green and cream for all Blackpool Council owned transport and vehicles.

As for that purple and white vintage balloon tram, horrible.

L Hurst

Kelso Avenue

Anchorsholme