You're a disgrace Brown, says Burgess

BEN Burgess accused Hull boss Phil Brown of "refereeing the game" after the Seasiders 2-2 draw at the KC Stadium.

Burgess said what the rest of the Blackpool squad seemed to be thinking in the controversial aftermath of a contest which saw three Pool players booked and defender Kaspars Gorkss sent off. Only one Hull player was yellow carded.

"He's not worth talking about," was the striker's blunt assessment of the Tigers boss.

Hull2 - Pool2: Match report, gallery and audio

Gorkss red card opens door for Jacko

Dickov effect rubs off on Pool

Simon Grayson diplomatically refused to comment on the accusation that Brown had got into the head of official Jonathan Moss.

"I am not going to get involved in anything like that," said the Seasiders boss. "I am a manager and I'm not going to comment on how other people conduct themselves."

Privately though it is understood that the manager and the rest of backroom staff and players were unhappy at Brown's behaviour.

It's all the more ironic because Brown has fond memories of Bloomfield Road, where he began his managerial career in 1995 as Sam Allardyce's assistant.

Burgess, a former Hull player, was particularly upset with Brown and said: "Phil Brown was a disgrace. He shouldn't be allowed to do that.

"From the first minute he was telling the ref what to do.

"I don't think people should be doing that because I don't think it is the way the game should be played, but it hasn't done them any harm because the referee has given them every decision.


"It is just one of those things but we will deal with it. Kaspars was unlucky to get sent off. I got booked because Phil Brown wanted me booked I think.

"But I don't want to talk about Phil Brown because he is not worth talking about."

As for Brown he seemed unaware of the comments in his after-match Press conference, praising his side's character as well as Paul Dickov's finishing.

"I thought this game was a massive potential banana skin, but to get a point after we were 2-0 down shows great character," said Brown.

"We had a couple of half-chances after their sending off, but you have to give the opposition credit for putting us on the back foot earlier on. Dickov showed that little bit of Premier League quality.

"We played some good football in the first half, but it became a bit of a battle in the second."

Meanwhile Hull's Bryan Hughes is reported to be OK today after being knocked unconscious during the game and stretchered off.

Play was stopped for six minutes during the first half after Hughes was knocked cold after an accidental clash with Paul Dickov.

Boss Brown said: "I've had a word with the club doctor and Bryan is ok. We know it was a neck problem. We don't know the extent it is nice to know that he is comfortable."

The incident was similar to the reverse fixture at Bloomfield Road in September when Hull striker Caleb Folan was knocked out after an accidental clash of heads and spent several days in hospital.