A workman is seriously ill in hospital after suffering head injuries in a horror accident at Blackpool’s Talbot Gateway.
It is believed the man, who is in his 30s, was working on a cherry picker at the five storey development when the incident happened at around 4.35pm yesterday.
Police and Blackpool Council today said an investigation was still underway to determine exactly what happened.
Last night there were conflicting reports about how the man was injured.
But it is understood he was hit by falling debris from the building while working in the cherry picker.
The North West Air Ambulance landed in nearby Talbot Road and the man was airlifted to the Royal Preston Hospital’s trauma centre with what have been described as serious injuries to his head, abdomen and chest.
A spokesman for the North West Air Ambulance said: “I can confirm we attended an incident in Blackpool at 5pm involving a male in his 30s when an object fell on to the gentleman.
“The patient had a suspected head injury and transported the patient to Royal Preston Hospital.”
A spokesperson for Lancashire Police said: “Police were called to Dickson Road at around 4.35pm on Thursday afternoon to reports that there had been an industrial accident on a building site.
“One of the workmen, believed to be in his 30s, was taken through to Royal Preston Hospital by air ambulance where he is receiving treatment for a head injury.”
Coun Ivan Taylor, of Blackpool Council, said: “Although the specific details aren’t known at the moment I am aware a workman on the Central Business District site has been injured and taken to hospital. I understand an investigation is already under way between the contractor and the Health and Safety Executive. Our thoughts are with the injured worker and we wish him a speedy recovery.”
The Eric Wright Group was contracted by Muse Developments, Blackpool Council’s developer, to run the site.
No one from the Eric Wright Group was available for comment.
PICK UP A COPY OF FRIDAY’S GAZETTE FOR THE FULL STORY.