DCSIMG

Woman rescued from flat fire

WBEG latest news

WBEG latest news

Firefighters broke into a flat to rescue a woman who had fallen unconscious after a fire broke out in her lounge.

The woman in her 50s had to be rescued by two firefighters who had been called to the flat on Laycock Gate, Blackpool, at 10.35pm on Friday.

Fire alarms in the block of flats had alerted neighbours to the fire, which was sparked when a candle left unattended set fire to curtains in the second floor property’s lounge.

Lancashire Fire and Rescue bosses have said the smoke alarms fitted in the property saved the woman’s life.

Crew manager Andrew Jones said: “Without doubt the smoke alarms definitely saved her life. There are dangers when leaving candles unattended, especially leaving them in flammable places.”

Two fire engines from Forest Gate fire station attended the incident where the fire caused severe damage to the curtains and some smoke damage to the lounge.

Crews said when they arrived at the building there were no signs of fire but when a ladder was put to the window of the flat where the fire was said to be they could see a woman lying unconscious on a sofa in the lounge.

The woman was rescued and revived by fire crews at the scene before being taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospitals by paramedics for further treatment.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page