Woman died from burns in her bath

Royal Preston Hospital

Royal Preston Hospital

0
Have your say

An elderly woman died after scalding herself in the bath, an inquest heard.

Blackpool Coroner’s Court was told Margaret Greet, 86, died of sepsis caused by the burns she suffered at her flat in Poplar court, on King’s Road, in St Annes.

However Blackpool and Fylde coroner Anne Hind described the circumstances surrounding Mrs Greet’s death as “strange”.

Mrs Greet was found in her bath with her legs hooked over the side after she raised the alarm via a button in her bathroom.

She was initially treated at the Royal Preston Hospital for burns to her back, shins and right arm.

However, she was later transferred to Wythenshawe Hospital, in Manchester, where she died on November 16 last year.

Mrs Greet’s daughter Sarah Bell told the inquest the incident was “very bizarre” as her mother “never took baths” and didn’t appear to be in any serious pain in the immediate aftermath of the incident.

Coroner Anne Hind said: “It’s very hot water and you would expect it to be immensely painful.

“She was sitting in a bath of cold water by the time you got there and I suppose that has anaesthetic qualities, but there’s no explanation as to why she did fall.”

Delivering a verdict of accidental death, Mrs Hind told Mrs Greet’s daughter: “It’s a strange situation. If there’s a little crumb of comfort it’s that she didn’t appear to suffer.

“It’s a sad and difficult day for you and you’ve done very well because I know you’re starting to come to terms with it.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.