Woman, 77, died after choking on sausages

editorial image
0
Have your say

An inquest has been opened into the death of an elderly woman who died after choking on sausages.

Blackpool Coroners’ Court heard Maureen Anderson, of Hemingway, Hawes Side, was eating her lunch on Saturday when the food became lodged in her throat. Paramedics were called but were unable to save her and she later died despite attempts to remove the fragments of sausage from her throat.

A post-mortem examination was carried out by pathologist Dr Sameer Shaktawat at Blackpool Victoria Hospital (BVH), who concluded Mrs Anderson, who was 77, had died from choking.

Coroners officer PC Ken Lord told the inquest: “Mrs Anderson was a resident in a care home and receives 24-hour care.

“She was spotted by care staff in some difficulty and appeared to be choking.

“Paramedics attended. On the crew’s arrival they could see foodstuffs lodged in her throat.

“She was taken to BVH but she remained unresponsive and unfortunately she passed away a short time later.

“We will be contacting Dr Shaktawat for further reports.”

Blackpool and Fylde coroner Anne Hind adjourned the inquest until a later date, which is yet to be announced.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.