WORRIED homeowners who witnessed a car plough into a house have called for an emergency meeting with councillors.
Residents living on a sharp bend of road on the corner of Macauley Avenue and Scott Close in Marton, say the area is notorious for speeding drivers.
But despite tirelessly campaigning for traffic calming measures they claim their pleas have fallen on deaf ears.
However, Sunday’s incident in which a red Volkswagen Golf smashed through the front wall of the property – narrowly avoiding the elderly owner – has fuelled fears without measures put in place to stop speeding vehicles there will be a fatality.
Lisa Pearce, of Macauley Avenue, has now written to Hawes Side councillor Norman Hardy calling for a meeting to discuss road safety.
She said: “I would be delighted if the council would meet us and actually discuss with us what we can do to make this situation better.
“If there is a legitimate reason why we cannot have speed bumps then OK, but I would residents would like a proper meeting to discuss our options.
“We have had a few near misses now, a lamp post was hit at Christmas and there have been other incidents.
“Even on Sunday evening my husband jumped up because he heard screeching as a car took the bend too quickly.”
The woman whose house was hit – who is in her 70s – had been sitting on the couch in her lounge just moments before the red Volkswagen Golf ploughed into the window of her property.
Mrs Pearce said she would like to thank the emergency services for their work following Sunday’s incident.
She added: “Everyone from the police to the council’s surveyor was brilliant – we couldn’t have asked for more.”
Susan Christy, of Scott Close, whose son was first on the scene following the incident at just after 6am on Sunday, backed Mrs Pearce’s campaign.
She said: “It is happening all the time. If you spend 10 minutes on the road you can see there is a problem.
“When will it end – when a child is hit?
“There are quite a number of children who play on the streets.”
Blackpool Council today confirmed they had received complaints from residents.
A town hall spokeswoman said: “We have received concerns from local residents in this area before and monitored the speed of vehicles.
“It’s awful what these residents have had to experience as a result of what seems to be reckless behaviour.
“We continue to observe driving speeds and behaviour in the area.”
n Two men – aged 17 and 19 – were charged with driving a motor vehicle otherwise than in accordance with a license, using a motor vehicle without third party insurance, aggravated vehicle taking and dangerous driving following Sunday’s crash..
Both have been bailed to appear at Blackpool Magistrates Court on July 12.