Warning after man saved in cliffs drama

A stranded man had to be winched to safety off Blackpools seafront cliffs yesterday.

A stranded man had to be winched to safety off Blackpools seafront cliffs yesterday.

A man left stranded on cliffs at Blackpool’s North Shore had to be winched to safety in a dramatic early morning rescue.

Emergency services were called to the seafront, near the Cliffs Hotel, in the early hours of yesterday morning after the alarm was raised.

It is believed the man had been walking home with his girlfriend when he lost his wallet and scrambled down the cliff edge to try and retrieve it.

He became trapped around two-thirds of the way down.

Firefighters used ropes and a harness to winch the 22-year-old local man to safety.

A warning was today issued for people to take care close to the cliffs.

A spokesman for the Coastguard Service said: “Most people will suffer some sort of fright when they are half way up or down causing them to become stuck.”

Rescuers from Bispham Fire Station and Lytham Coastguard attended at the scene at about 2.45am yesterday.

Michael Spencer, watch manager at Bispham Fire Station, said: “The man was in a very precarious position and had also become trapped by fear.

“We used ropes and a harness to lower a firefighter down from the Promenade and got his off using a rescue harness.

“We then lowered him down to the Lower Prom. It was very near full tide and windy, and this part of the seafront is quite exposed.”

The man was treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to hospital with an injury to an elbow.

Two other rescues took place in the same area during the summer.

In the first incident in July, a man broke both his ankles when he fell down the cliffs opposite Uncle Tom’s Cabin, while later the same month a man suffered head injuries in a fall near Gynn Square.

Clean-up on seafront as winds batter the coast

The clean-up of Blackpool Promenade continued yesterday following huge waves which crashed into the sea wall and sparked flooding on Friday.

Community Payback workers were seen sweeping the area yesterday.

Council bosses told The Gazette they would now investigate whether the resort’s £100m sea wall had any weaknesses – or the flooding, the second such incident in a month, was simply the result of freak weather conditions.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.


Back to the top of the page