VIDEO: Police search land in fresh Paige hunt

0
Have your say

Police investigating the disappearance of Blackpool teenager Paige Chivers were today searching an area of land in Bispham.

The search follows new information about the possible location of a body in the hunt for Paige, who disappeared in 2007 and who police believe was murdered.

Missing teenager Paige Chivers

Missing teenager Paige Chivers

Yesterday’s search area was focused in a small field at land off Faraday Way.

The area has been secured with a cordon and will be searched over the next few days.

The inquiry team involves officers from the Force Major Investigation Unit at Blackpool police and forensic scientists, as well as police dog search teams.

Paige went missing in Blackpool in August 2007 when she was 15-years-old.

Since then, there have been no corroborated sightings of her, no contact with her family or friends and her body has never been found.

Two men have been charged with murdering the teenager and will be tried in April.

Residents living near the search site, last night, told of their shock at the investigation.

Susan Bryce, 65, of Bispham Road said: “It is horrible to think the search for her is so close.

“Some huge concrete blocks were removed yesterday morning blocking the entrance to the field, so it was clear someone wanted to get at the site.”

Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named added: “It’s a busy area around there – there is always plenty going on with it being so close to a business park.

“It is a bit of a shock to think they are looking so close.”

Police said Paige’s family were aware of the developments and were being kept fully informed.

Robert Ewing, 60, of Kincraig Place, Bispham, denies murdering the teenager between August 23, 2007 and August 27, 2007.

Ewing also pleaded not guilty to doing acts intended to pervert the course of public justice, namely intimidating witnesses and providing false information to the police about Paige’s disappearance between August 23, 2007 and September 22, 2014.

Co-defendant Gareth Dewhurst, 45, of Duncan Avenue, denies assisting an offender in disposing of a body between 23 and 27 August 2007, intending to pervert the course of justice and an alleged sex offence.

Both men will face trial on April 14.

The trial is scheduled to last up to 12 weeks.