Police launch train collision death probe

Police at the bridge on Blackpool Road in Ansdell where a person was hit and killed by a train.

Police at the bridge on Blackpool Road in Ansdell where a person was hit and killed by a train.

Police investigating a horror collision when a person was killed after being hit by a train say they believe the victim is a man from Lytham.

The line was closed for four hours yesterday between Blackpool South and Preston following the incident near Ansdell and Fairhaven station.

Detectives were last night working to formally identify the body following the lunchtime incident near Skew Bridge, where the line runs alongside Witch Wood.

The death is currently being treated as “unexplained”.

A spokesman for British Transport Police said it was too early to be certain the body is even male.

“As it stands we believe the deceased is a man from Lytham but we’re still working to get a formal ID,” he added.

“The incident is currently being treated as unexplained as officers work to determine how the person came to be on the tracks.”

And residents today told of their shock at seeing a heavy police presence around Ansdell and Fairhaven station, where witnesses reported seeing the body being removed into a private ambulance.

Dennis Hopwood, owner of Ansdell Plumbing Supplies, on Woodlands Road, said he saw around half a dozen police vehicles lining the street outside his business.

He added: “It’s sad, whatever has happened. You don’t expect it on a small road like this. It’s just a bit of a shock.”

A Lytham resident who also works on the street added: “I have never heard of anything like this around here before.”

Major rail disruption as line blocked for hours

Rail services between Preston and Blackpool were suspended for four hours while police carried out investigations along the line.
A British Transport Police spokesman said the line had been handed back to Network Rail at 4.15pm, at which time normal services resumed.
Northern Rail confirmed one of its trains had been involved in the incident but said it does not issue any further statements following a fatality.

Follow us on Twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on Facebook to keep up with all the latest news.


Back to the top of the page