Town star’s journey to fatherhood

Fleetwood Town goalkeeper Scott Davies with his son Sonny
Fleetwood Town goalkeeper Scott Davies with his son Sonny
Have your say

PREPARATIONS for life in the Football League were not supposed to be this stressful.

But as Fleetwood Town FC’s training camp drew to a close in the mountains of Austria, their star goalkeeper had to make a mad dash for home.

After winning the Blue Square Bet title in May, goalkeeper Scott Davies thought he had experienced every emotion which could be thrown at him.

However, as the team were being put through their paces on the continent, 1,107 miles away, Scott’s fiance Claire was going into labour back home in Carleton a week early.

Deciding to drop everything, the keeper left the camp wearing only his tracksuit and hot-footed it to Munich Airport to catch the next flight to London Heathrow.

Fortunately for the 25-year-old, luck was on his side and the flight was delayed for half an hour which gave him the time he needed to get a seat on board.

He said: “When I was in the car being driven to the airport by one of the fitness coaches I kept thinking there’s no way I would make it.

“I left the camp in Austria on Saturday evening and it was a good three and a half hours to Munich Airport to get a flight. Luckily the next one was delayed and when I explained the situation they let me board.”

By the time he landed in London his friend and former Blackpool FC player Matthew Blinkhorn was waiting to drive him to his fiance’s bedside.

The pair arrived at the hospital after the four-hour drive to witness the birth of his first son Sonny Alan Davies at 12.15pm on Sunday.

He added: “It was amazing and the best day of my life without a doubt.

“It was worth all the travelling to get there.


“When I got there it was the greatest feeling ever.

“The promotion was a great moment in my life but the birth of my child can’t be replaced and I can only thank my fiance for giving me this opportunity.

“She’s had to stay in hospital for a couple of days but the baby is fine.”

Mr Blinkhorn said he could not believe it when the phone call came.

He had planned a quiet Saturday night in but was left with a huge responsibility when his panic-stricken friend pleaded with him to help.

Mr Blinkhorn, who is currently looking for a new club after being released by York City, said: “His dad and brother were both out and couldn’t drive down.

“I saw the call and thought it was a manager ringing me up about a trial.

“It was definitely worth it and for me to be involved in an experience which he calls the best of his life makes me very proud and happy.

“We hit a bit of traffic in Luton on the way back which caused us to panic, but we got there in the end.”