Thanks for saving our sanctuary

Staff at Easter Leigh Animal Sanctuary, St Annes in front of the building which has been rebuilt after the arson attack
Staff at Easter Leigh Animal Sanctuary, St Annes in front of the building which has been rebuilt after the arson attack
0
Have your say

THE owner of an fire-ravaged animal sanctuary has paid thanks to supporters who have raised £10,000 to rebuild the much loved centre.

Twenty-five animals died in the fire at Easterleigh Animal Sanctuary in St Annes in March.

But the local community has rallied round to raise cash to ensure the damaged areas could be refurbished.

Mandy Leigh, owner of the Queensway centre, said: “We have raised £10,195. It’s brilliant. It’s down to the local community and supporters.

“People have given us donations and held fundraising events. The building wouldn’t have been refurbished but for everyone’s support.”

An open day will take place at Easterleigh between 10am and 4pm this Saturday.

The event will feature a dog show, Culpepper Cowboy Show, dog sausage race, face painting, cake stalls, belly dancers, a bagpipe player, and owl display.

Mike Dowling, from Gaietys Karaoke Bar, will be the compere for the day and paintings donated by members of the Windmill Arts Society will also form part of a raffle.

Sheila Helliwell, a loyal fundraiser for Easterleigh, said: “There are going to be some beautiful paintings. People have been really upset by the fire – that’s why we want to raise this money.”

Local businessman Spencer Lee, who lives in St Annes and owns Naylor and Walkden, has led the rebuild project.

Mrs Leigh added: “The builders have done a fantastic job on the building where the isolation unit was. We need to do the interior now. They’ve been wonderful.

“The fire has cost us a lot of money but we have to pick ourselves up and get on with it. Everyone has raised a lot of money but we’ll probably need another £10,000 – the galvanised pens alone cost £5,000.

“We hope to get a lot of people at the open day – I’ve gone to town on it this year because of the fire.”