Street knifing Horror

Stabbing scene: Lindale Gardens, South Shore
Stabbing scene: Lindale Gardens, South Shore
Have your say

Terrified neighbours today told of their shock after a man was left bleeding in the street after a horrific stabbing.

Police are today being urged to step up patrols in South Shore after the 22-year-old victim was rushed to hospital in a serious condition following the attack, just metres from a school.

In the hours following the incident officers delivered a flyer to residents asking for help in their investigation into the stabbing, which their letter said had occurred “at or around” a property in Lindale Gardens, South Shore.

It is believed the stabbing happened inside the property before the victim, losing blood from his wounds, staggered on to the street.

A number of members of the public who came across the scene called police.

And neighbours today told of dramatic scenes in the lead up to the incident as they had seen a shaven-headed man running down the street wearing nothing but trousers, shouting and waving his arms around 20 minutes before the stabbing, which happened at 9.50am on Tuesday.

Harry Kendall said: “We heard a bloke shouting in the street at about 9.30am.

“When I looked out the guy was in the middle of the road.

“He had not got a top on and I don’t think he had any shoes on either.

“He was shouting something like ‘Oh God!’.

“He put his hands to his head and walked down towards number 52 and through the gate.

“I’m not sure if he was the one who was later stabbed.”

Mr Kendall, 53, added a while later he saw three or four police cars parked around the street and officers with a police dog.

He said an inspector had knocked on his door that evening and taken a statement.

“Five years ago when we moved here there were always gangs on the street and the police were always around,” said Mr Kendall.

“They they put a new PC in and they cleaned up the area and had regular patrols.

“I’ve not seem them around for ages now and I do think they should step up patrols again after this.

“It’s come quite out of the blue.”

Another resident, who did not wish to be named, said: “I saw a guy running down the street in just his trousers.

“He was waving his arms about.

“There was a car just ahead of him with a few young kids in the front.”

Vicky Moran, 34, said she did not know who the injured man was or where he was from.

“I was brought up on this road and we don’t really suffer too much with idiots,” she said.

“We’ve had some dramas over the years but nothing like this to my knowledge.

“What’s worrying is that it was not far from Highfield school so there might have been kids walking past.”

Another neighbour, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “It’s quite a shock.

“I’ve been living in this area for 13 or 14 years and I’ve never heard about anything like this.

“The area has deteriorated unfortunately. There are not a lot more rental properties and people who just do not show respect.”

Ian Evans, head at Highfield Humanities College, just over the road from where the stabbing happened said: “Police did come into school to look at any evidence we might have had in terms of CCTV.

“Clearly, it’s something that’s concerning and not something you want happening on your doorstep.

“However, we are always vigilant in terms of pupil safety.

“All the pupils were in school at the time this happened and there we no ramifications.”

A member of the public called 999 at 9.50am on Tuesday after seeing the man bleeding in the street.

He was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital by ambulance where he remains in a stable condition.

A police spokeswoman said his injuries were “serious but not thought to be life-threatening”.

Two men, aged 25 and 28, and a 48-year-old woman were arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of wounding and have since been released on police bail.

The force spokeswoman added: “The investigation is in its early stages.”

Det Insp Gareth Willis, of Blackpool CID, said the victim will recover from his injuries.

He said: “A number of witnesses contacted police on the morning of the incident.

“A 22-year-old local man received two stab wounds to his thigh and has since discharged himself from hospital.

“We believe the incident has been confined to an address on Lindale Gardens.

“When anyone is stabbed it is obviously potentially life-threatening and he lost consciousness due to heavy blood loss.

“Three people were arrested and have all been released on police bail. We are not looking for anybody else.”

Call police on 101.