Stag and hen hotel to re-open

Rob Brunnell, Lesley Lamberton, Kayleigh Knights, Jonathan Hartley, Alvin Munroe, Rick Ross and Damian Farrar at the Malibu Hotel.
Rob Brunnell, Lesley Lamberton, Kayleigh Knights, Jonathan Hartley, Alvin Munroe, Rick Ross and Damian Farrar at the Malibu Hotel.
0
Have your say

A NOTORIOUS party hotel is poised to re-open after pledging to keep its guests under control.

In April the Malibu Hotel on Albert Road became the first in Blackpool to be shut down using tough powers normally applied to drug dens and brothels.

Town hall chiefs secured a closure order following a raft of complaints from other hoteliers in the area.

But at a hearing this week, an agreement was reached to allow the venue to reopen next Wednesday.

Owner Jonathan Hartley said: “We have lost a great deal of revenue for the hotel and the town through being closed but we have got bookings in place for when we re-open.

“We are going to have meetings with the council’s licensing authorities, and we hope to work with them and the neighbouring hotels.

“Our intention is to get professional door staff in. It is hard to shut a successful business down when there are other actions which could be taken, and we can work together.”

Mr Hartley’s solicitor Trevor Colebourne described the decision as “a victory for common sense.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.

He added: “The council has been very fair and they have accepted our assurances the premises will be run to a high standard, which is what Mr Hartley will do.”

The premises was closed down following an initial hearing four weeks ago.

The order to keep the hotel closed for another week, but then allow it to re-open, was made by magistrates after Mr Colebourne reached an agreement with the council’s legal team, which includes that Mr Hartley will pay the council’s legal costs of £7,000.

Coun Gary Coleman, cabinet member for regeneration and urban development on Blackpool Council, said: “We take matters such as this very seriously and therefore an agreement to remain closed until the June 6 has been entered into.

“We will use any tool available to us to help improve the quality of life for our residents and this ruling justifies the hard work that has gone into this case.

“Meetings may be arranged with regards to future operation of the business to ensure the risk of any further nuisance will be reduced to an absolute minimum.”

The premises is also being hauled before a council licensing panel on June 11 for further investigation.

Neighbouring hoteliers have complained about noise, and lewd and anti-social behaviour since The Malibu opened last year targeting the stag and hen market.

Adrian Smurthwaite, of The Albany Hotel, on Albert Road, said: “All we want is for him to keep his guests under control and have more consideration for his neighbours.

“But I don’t believe he can control 120 guests.”

Click here to register with The Gazette website to enable you to comment on stories.