Square wheel will not be rolling back

First day of rides on the big wheel in St John's square
First day of rides on the big wheel in St John's square
0
Have your say

PLANS to bring a big wheel back to Blackpool have been scrapped after the attraction failed to attract enough punters.

The wheel, which was installed in St John’s Square for the Easter break, had been due to return to the resort for a month from July 17, and for a final time during the Illuminations.

But after a disappointing response the operator has decided not to return with the ride.

Natalie Wyatt, head of VisitBlackpool, confirmed the wheel would not be back this year.

She said: “It was a trial but the operator has decided not to bring it back so soon. If it is going to come back it won’t be this year.

“It did not cost the council any money. Our role was just to act as a facilitator.

“There were varying reports as to how well it was doing. At the weekend it was very good, but at other times it wasn’t and I think for something like that it had to have more consistency.

“But we are looking at other ideas for the square and we and the BID (business improvement district) team, are looking at a programme of events.”

The 33m-high wheel opened in the square on Friday April 15 when it was officially opened by then Blackpool Mayor Coun Don Clapham.

It had been due to return from July 17 until August 17, and from September 26 until October 31.

Town centre BID manager Eileen Ormand said it was disappointing.

She said: “It wasn’t as successful as we had hoped. It did very well when the town was busy over Easter and the bank holidays but inbetween times it was very quiet.

“There was a mixed reaction. Some thought it was out of place, and others really liked it.

“We are actively looking at bringing more events to the square and have another of our very popular international markets coming on Wednesday.”

The market, from July 13 to 17, will have food and gift stalls.