Smoke alarm plea after man is taken to hospital

Fire engine
Fire engine
0
Have your say

A MAN was taken to hospital after he attempted to extinguish a fire at his mother-in-law’s house.

The 55-year-old was first on the scene when he was called by his panic-stricken relative who discovered her spin dryer on fire at 8.45pm yesterday in Shakespeare Road, Fleetwood.

The pensioner had been on her way to bed when she spotted smoke coming from her utility room at the back of the house and immediately called her family.

Alistair Mclean, watch manager at Fleetwood Fire Station, said: “The spin dryer had got an electrical fault and was smouldering in the back of the house.

“She had gone through to check the back door was locked and that’s when she realised the room was full of smoke.

“She called her family up panicking and they went round and got there before us.

“He is asthmatic and took in a lung full of smoke, so as a precaution we called the paramedics and they decided to send him to Blackpool Victoria Hospital for a check-up.”

The blaze caused moderate damage to the dryer and the utility room, but watch manager Mclean says it could have intensified as the home was not fitted with any smoke alarms.

He added: “The spin dryer wasn’t being used but was still plugged in and had been smouldering for quite some time.

“She had no smoke alarm and it was lucky she found the fire because it would’ve developed over night as there was a lot of other equipment around it.”

Coun Emma Anderton, Warren ward councillor for Wyre Council, also urged people to have a smoke alarm fitted immediately.

She added: “She has been very lucky to find it when she did and I would encourage everybody to get a smoke alarm.

“The fire service will come and fit an alarm free of charge and anyone who hasn’t got one should take advantage of this because they can save lives.”

To arrange a free smoke alarm fitting call 0800 169 1125.