DCSIMG

Sleepy cook has lucky escape from fire

Firefighters were called to a flat fire on Queens Promenade.

Firefighters were called to a flat fire on Queens Promenade.

Firefighters who rushed to a flat fire where a person was reported to be unresponsive inside found a man had fallen asleep after putting a pizza in the oven.

Crews from Bispham station were called to the property on Queens Promenade after a neighbour raised the alarm at 3.30am on Saturday, having tried to alert the occupier but with no success.

On arrival, firefighters found the ground floor apartment full of smoke.

Acting crew manager Stuart Higson said the outcome could have been worse if not for the fire alarm.

He added: “The occupier came to the door. He had been cooking a pizza and fallen asleep.

“The smoke alarm saved him by waking him up, which highlights the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

“Luckily, he had fallen asleep in the lounge and was safe from the smoke in the kitchen.”

Lancashire Fire and Rescue fits free fire alarms for residents. Call 0800 169 1125.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page