Shock as man stabbed in the chest in street

Police at the scene of the stabbing, on Church Street, close to the junction with Topping Street
Police at the scene of the stabbing, on Church Street, close to the junction with Topping Street
Have your say

A Blackpool street was left covered in blood after a man was stabbed in the chest in front of shocked onlookers.

The 21-year-old victim was left bleeding heavily from a wound to his chest, with another gash to his arm, after he was attacked by a man on Church Street, by the junction with Topping Street, at just before 4pm yesterday.

Witnesses told how the pavement and road close to the stabbing were left covered in blood.

One told of seeing the attacker run off while the victim screamed for help.

It is believed the two men were arguing shortly before the stabbing.

Passer-by Cheryl Lawrence, 39, told The Gazette: “A couple of guys started arguing in the street and one pulled a knife out and stabbed the other one in his chest and he just staggered across the road.

“Quite a few people saw it, everyone was shocked.”

Police have today launched an appeal for information about the incident. No one had been arrested last night.

Jade Cunliffe, 27, who had been drinking at nearby Champs Sports Bar, said: “He came back up here covered in blood so we got cloths and applied pressure to his wounds until the paramedics came.

“It wasn’t scary, he was quite calm but just covered in blood.”

Onlookers told how the victim had been in the bar with his girlfriend before leaving at around 3.45pm.

It was then that he saw the other man, already known to him, and they began to argue before the victim was stabbed over an ongoing dispute, police have said.

Det Sgt Stuart Reid, of Blackpool CID, said: “This is potentially a knife assault in the middle of the town centre, it was during a busy period and in broad daylight.

“I’m sure many people who saw it were shocked and I would ask for any of them to come forward.”

A manager of a nearby shop, who asked not to be named, said: “The injuries didn’t look too bad but there was blood everywhere.”

Drinkers from the bar said they used cloth to stem the bleeding before paramedics and police arrived.

A police cordon was put in place around the scene, until around 5.15pm.

Police are now hunting the attacker, who they say does not pose a threat to the public, and that the weapon has yet to be recovered.

Det Sgt Reid added: “The offender is still outstanding but we have identified him, he was known to the victim.”

The victim was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital but released last night.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101, or Blackpool CID on: (01253) 604157