A dog with a taste for gravel has cheated death after swallowing 80 stones.
The lucky Jack Russell terrier, called Star, was saved by vets after they felt “crunchy material” in her stomach and an X-ray revealed dozens of gravel stones found within.
Owner Tracy McCaul, 49, had become worried about her beloved seven-year-old pet after she had refused any food for 24 hours and was barely able to move.
She was taken to the PDSA’s pet hospital, in Hawes Side Lane, Marton, where vets warned Tracy her pet would require risky surgery to remove the stones. Tracy, from Fleetwood, said: “I was very shocked when they told me she had swallowed so many stones, I just didn’t think it was possible.
“I’m so grateful to PDSA for the care and treatment they gave Star. Without them I don’t think she’d still be alive.”
Tracy, who also owns another dog called Mitzie, has since removed all gravel from her garden to prevent any similar incidents in the future.
Owners are advised to speak to their vet for advice if they suspect their pet has eaten something it shouldn’t.
Jennifer Jackson, PDSA senior vet, treated Star.
She said: “She could hardly stand and was extremely dehydrated.
“It really was touch and go whether Star would survive.
“We had to carry out emergency surgery to remove the stones and thankfully she has gone on to make a full recovery.”