Residents were forced to evacuate their homes today after a fire broke out in a garage in Blackpool.
More than a dozen firefighters were drafted in to deal with the blaze at a commercial garage at Brun Grove, Marton at 5.30am.
Residents of flats above the premises – which quickly began to fill with smoke – were evacuated to safety.
Crew manager Brian Jowett, from South Shore fire station, said four flats had suffered smoke damage, but only two were occupied.
He said: “We had a commercial fire in a garage – which contained the usual things you would expect – at the back of some flats and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus took about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control.
“Residents from two of the properties were safely evacuated before we arrived.”
Several vehicles and a large quantity of property was destroyed. At this stage it is not known how the fire started.