Puppy is rescued from flat fire - after it switched the cooker on

Firefighters rescued a dog from a Washington home after a fire broke out in the kitchen

Firefighters rescued a dog from a Washington home after a fire broke out in the kitchen

2
Have your say

A puppy was rescued by firefighters - after accidentally switching on an electric cooker in the kitchen of a flat.

The Siberian husky - and a caged budgie - had a lucky escape when a blaze started at the property on Braemar Walk this afternoon.

One fire engine from Blackpool and one from Bispham attended after receiving an emergency call just before 2pm.

On arrival, firefighters found the ground floor property full of smoke and extinguished the fire using two breathing apparatus sets, one hose reel and one ventilation unit.

Watch manager Michael Spencer explained: “A gentleman had gone out and had left a Siberian husky puppy in the kitchen.

“There was a puppy training nappy on top of the cooker and some treats, which the puppy has been jumping at.

“It turned a couple of switches on and it’s set fire to the training nappy that was on the cooker.

“The property was heavily smoke logged.

“The owner came home and the pets were with a neighbour and we were recommending he take them to a vets to get them checked out because they were subjected to a very unpleasant atmosphere for some time.

“They seemed okay but were black with soot.

“Sometimes it seems a bit strange but the evidence fitted with the version of events.”

He added: “Fortunately the neighbours were able to tell us what was in the flat and we able to locate them quite quickly.”

Firefighters were there for 45 minutes.