A pet owner who was bitten while trying to pull a Staffie dog away from attacking his 14-week-old puppy has been told police will not be investigating the matter further.
Lady, a border collie puppy, was set upon by the bigger dog as she was walked down Grasmere Road, Blackpool, with owner Joey Kennedy, 19.
The attack left her with a broken front leg, her shoulder bone exposed, ripped muscles and bite marks across her body while Mr Kennedy, a childcare assistant at Revoe Primary Academy, was left with a bite mark on his hand.
Lady returned home on Wednesday after spending six days in a specialist veterinary hospital in St Helens, where vets inserted a metal rod into her broken leg to help repair the fractured bones.
And her owner had to spend hours in A&E at Blackpool Victoria Hospital to have the bite marks to his hand tended to.
But police officers called to the incident on July 31 have since said they cannot investigate the matter as a dog attack as Mr Kennedy joined the dog fight willingly.
A spokesman for Lancashire Police said: “The dog wardens are progressing the injuries to Lady but we didn’t feel there was enough to progress the bite to Mr Kennedy.
“It wasn’t felt to be a deliberate bite to him, rather it happened as he tried to intervene between the two dogs.”
Mr Kennedy has said he is “outraged”.
He added: “Because it was me joining the dog fight rather than the dog attacking me the police have said they can’t do anything.
“I feel disgusted about it.
“I’m scared now for when I can take her out again.”
He is now fund-raising to help cover the more than £3,000 vets bills, having already raised £200.
Blackpool Council’s dog warden service has said it is investigating the incident after Joey Kennedy reported the dog attack to them.
A spokesman for the local authority said: “We are aware a nasty incident occurred and we are currently going through the process of gathering all the information for an investigation.”
Mr Kennedy said he is relieved the incident is being investigated and hopes this means the dog does not injure any other animals or pet owners.