A family pet slashed its leg on broken glass after yobs hurled a beer bottle over a 10ft high garden fence.
Four-year-old Jack Russell Bingo had to have an operation to fix his tendon and a vein which were ripped open when he stepped on the bottle after it smashed.
The pet has been left in a cast and he may require physiotherapy.
Owner Louise Mowbray, of Grange Road, Layton, hopes raising awareness of the incident will encourage people to dispose of their bottles properly – since there is a bin close to where the bottle was thrown – and wants local drinking venues to serve alcohol in plastic bottles and glasses.
She said: “We’d let Bingo out into the garden in the morning, and 20 minutes later this happened.
“When we got him to the vet he said it was lucky he didn’t rip an artery as he would have died – that’s how serious it was.
“It’s horrific what he’s been through, and it’s all because of someone’s carelessness.”
Mother of three Mrs Mowbray, 40, said people should be more considerate of how they dispose of their bottles.
She added: “It could have been a lot worse. Bingo could have died, or it could have been a child or an elderly, partially sighted person could have ended up hurting themselves. I just want to bring more awareness to people in how they get rid of their bottles.
“Their carelessness has cost me at least £180 in vets fees because an animal has been hurt.
“I want to prevent this happening again.”
He’s got a bit of a limp and he’s feeling sorry for himself, but Bingo is on the road to recovery. After slashing open a vein and tendon, owner Louise Mowbray said he was very lethargic, having lost so much blood. She added: “He’s still a bit dopey and he’s hobbling around, but he’s been excellent. He was really whimpering at the time.” Mrs Mowbray said the dog was enjoying the extra attention from her children, aged 12, 17 and 20.