Pensioner treated as fire takes hold

Firefighters at the house in Bispham.
Firefighters at the house in Bispham.
0
Have your say

A pensioner was treated for smoke inhalation in hospital after a lucky escape from a fire.

Fire crews were called to Holly Road in Bispham at 8.20am yesterday when a blaze took hold in a bedroom of a bungalow.

The 68-year-old is believed to have fallen asleep after lighting a cigarette and was only alerted to the fire when her husband returned to collect his house keys because no smoke alarms were fitted in the home.
The fire caused severe damage to the bedroom.

Smoke alarms can be fitted for free by ringing 0800 169 1125.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.