The devastated parents of a disabled young man who died in hospital say they are still waiting for answers over his death.
Oliver Brange, from Kirkham, died at Royal Preston Hospital last September.
They were pumping drugs into him. Because Oliver was so complex they had a lack of understanding of what they were doing
The 25-year-old, who attended Pear Tree School in Kirkham, was left physically and mentally handicapped after suffering brain damage at birth, was epileptic and couldn’t talk.
He also had cerebral atrophy and also had incomplete myelination, which both affected his brain.
Oliver, who was well known in Kirkham and was cared for full time by his mum and dad Karen Gilmore and Peter Brange, was taken to A&E with a urinary infection and died a week later of pneumonia.
Karen said: “I am devastated. We are trying to come to terms with what has happened.”
His parents claim there was a “lack of knowledge and understanding” at the hospital when treating Oliver and say the anticonvulsant medication he was given impacted on his ability to swallow.
They say because he was laid down flat and not propped up he swallowed his own vomit – resulting in aspirated pneumonia.
Karen, 55 and Peter, 64, have serious questions over Oliver’s care in the hospital.
Karen said: “How can somebody go in with a UTI and fitting and die of aspirated pneumonia?
“I am devastated. We are trying to come to terms with what has happened.”
The family has complained to the hospital and is waiting to hear back from the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.
Oliver had always had a urine infection called Pseudomonas. If it was at a low level he was fine but if it flared up he had to go to hospital and be put on a drip.
On September 19 Oliver wasn’t well and was having seizures. Paramedics took him to hospital. Karen said: “At that point he did not go in to hospital with pneumonia.
“They were pumping drugs into him. Because Oliver was so complex they had a lack of understanding of what they were doing.
“They told us somewhere in the course of him being in A&E he had swallowed his own vomit, he aspirated.”
Dad Peter said: “He was like the celebrity of Kirkham. He had a lovely life.”
Today Karen Partington, chief executive of Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, said: “Firstly we wish to express our sincere condolences to Oliver’s parents and family.
“Our Customer Care team has carried out an investigation and we have offered to meet with Oliver’s parents to discuss this further.
“We advise all complainants of their rights to contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) if they feel their complaint has not been resolved, and we will work with the PHSO to ensure Oliver’s family’s concerns have been fully addressed.”