Pair rescued from blazing building

The scene
The scene
0
Have your say

TWO people were in hospital today after being rescued from a blazing block of flats in Blackpool.

Fire ripped through the property in Spencer Court, Layton, just after midnight, forcing residents out of their homes and leaving one older woman and her dog trapped in her smoke-filled top floor flat.

Watch manager Ian Alder, from Blackpool fire station said: “It was an horrendous incident.

“We could see the smoke coming down Devonshire Road and, as we turned into Spencer Court, the night sky was lit up by the fire.

“There were lots of people screaming and shouting because there were people trapped inside the building.

“We tried smashing doors down and we managed to get one or two people out that way.”

Firefighters were able to lead several residents to safety soon after they arrived, but one woman was left trapped upstairs in the two-storey block.

He said: “She was trapped. She managed to get to her kitchen and was screaming at us from there.

“We were still trying to break the front door down, which was near to the fire in the porch area of the flats and the woman came to her window, but it only opened about six inches.

“We got ladders up and she was panicking, the kitchen where she was was heavily smoke logged. She handed her poodle dog to one of the firefighters and when we got the window open she didn’t want come down the ladders so we got breathing apparatus wearers up to her and gave her oxygen until it was safe to bring her down.”

The woman - who was suffering from smoke inhalation - and a man were both treated by paramedics at the scene and taken by ambulance to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

A total of 15 firefighters spent two hours battling the blaze, which is believed to have broken out close to the electricity and gas meters in the communal area of the flats.

The fire also spread through the roof space to a neighbouring property.

Mr Alder added: “The porch area downstairs is gutted and the roof above.

“We had to take all the roof tiles off and tackle the fire that way. That’s what has taken us such a long time.”

Three fire engines - two from Blackpool and one from Bispham - were at the scene and had to use breathing apparatus, a door ram and three sets of ladders to tackle the blaze.