No speed limit plea despite road death

editorial image
0
Have your say

A CORONER has ruled out recommending further speed restrictions on a busy main road after a elderly woman was tragically killed.

Speaking at an inquest into the death of 87-year-old Gwennie Dean, Christopher Beverly said “nothing” could be done to improve road safety in Poulton Street, Kirkham.

The inquest at Blackpool Coroners’ Court yesterday heard how Mrs Dean, of Southlands, Kirkham, was crossing the road close to the Queens Arms pub when she was struck by a blue Nissan Micra driven by Carlton Terry, 86, on August 8 last year.

PC Phil Walker, who investigated the incident, told the inquest Mr Terry was estimated to have been travelling at between 28 and 33mph in the 30mph zone when the crash occurred.

He told the inquest: “It’s clear the driver of the Micra had sufficient time and distance to stop or ease off and allow the pedestrian to clear the carriageway.”

Mrs Dean, who has no surviving family, was said to have been in good health at the time of the crash and was crossing the road at a normal speed for a person of her age.

She died the following day in hospital. Mr Beverly questioned whether implementing a 20mph zone would be appropriate for Poulton Street, but PC Walker said further road safety measures would be “counter productive.”

http://bit.ly/Gazette_Register|Click here to register with The Gazette website to enable you to leave your comments and reaction to stories|Click here to register with The Gazette website to enable you to leave your comments and reaction to stories}.

The assistant coroner for Blackpool and The Fylde said: “(20mph zones are) controversial and the local community seem to have gone up in arms, and all of us who drive know how difficult that can be,

“It’s almost more traumatic than driving too fast because of the concentrating you have to do.”

He recorded a verdict of accidental death. In February, Mr Terry, of Ferrier Bank, Warton, pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

He was sentenced to a three month curfew between 8pm and 6am, banned from driving for 12 months and must take an extended test if he wanted to drive again.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.