Plans to build a hotel on the site of Fleetwood Pier look set to go ahead – despite a tide of opposition.
Wyre planners are recommending approval of the proposals for a two-storey, 18-bedroom hotel to be built where the pier once stood before burning down in 2008.
The amended plans will go before Wyre Council this coming Wednesday, three years after a four-storey, 42-bedroom proposal was rejected.
Simmo Developments, led by businessman Mike Simmons, aka comedian Joey Blower, is the developer responsible for the hotel, which is opposed by Fleetwood Town Council, Fleetwood Civic Society and some of the town’s leaders. It was first submitted two years ago.
Fleetwood Civic Society first raised its concerns with the original plans and fear the approval of this work would “set a precedent” for more buildings on the beach.
Margaret Daniels, the group’s chairman, said: “All of our concerns still stand, plus the fact it was submitted in 2011 mean the details of the traffic on the road is out of date, because since then a tramway has been introduced which has a knock-on effect.”
Fleetwood Town Council claim it will have a negative impact on the economic viability of the town.
A written objection said: “Tourism in Fleetwood has declined and therefore there is no need for a hotel. Economic impact assessment should be carried out.”
Coun Lorraine Beavers, Pharos ward councillor for Wyre Council, added: “I don’t think there’s a need for a hotel in Fleetwood.
“We have the North Euston that’s been there for a long time and once they build on the beach they will continue to build on the beach and that’s wrong.”
Mr Simmons was unavailable for comment.