Cancer and not asbestos killed a former miner from Cleveleys, an inquest heard.
Blackpool Coroner’s Court was told that William Main, 74, had instructed solicitors to investigate a possible compensation claim after alleging he had been exposed to asbestos in the 1960s while working in coal pits in Cowdenbeath in Scotland, where he was born.
But Mr Main, who went on to work as a joiner and lived on Carr Gate, had last year undergone surgery for a tumour on his tongue. And while a post-mortem found evidence of asbestos fibres, pathologist Mark Sissons from Blackpool Victoria Hospital told the court there were cancerous nodules in his lungs, liver and spleen. He concluded that these were likely to have caused Mr Main’s death at Trinity Hospice in Blackpool on April 30.
Alan Wilson, coroner for Blackpool and Fylde, accepted the post-mortem findings and concluded that widower Mr Main had died from natural causes.