A former lorry driver and plumber whose wide-ranging career also included stints working in the baking, building, insurance, travel and retail industries, died as a result of a malignant tumour, an inquest heard.
Ian Jenkins, 66, who swapped jobs almost every year of his working life, died at Acorn Nursing Home, on Newton Drive, in Blackpool, on June 20.
Blackpool Coroner’s Court heard of suspicions that the tumour to the left side of Mr Jenkins’ chest may have been caused by asbestos exposure.
His sister, Marion Crossley, from Knott End, told the inquest she understood there had been asbestos dust in a council house he had lived in in Essex before moving to Blackpool last year.
But she said her brother, who had been diagnosed as being terminally ill the previous August, had been estranged from the family for many years and she did not know what any of the roles on his extensive CV, supplied by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, had entailed.
A post-mortem examination revealed that his death had been caused by bronchial pneumonia due to malignant mesothelioma, but no asbestos bodies could be traced.
Blackpool and Fylde coroner Alan Wilson said there was insufficient evidence to support a conclusion that Mr Jenkins’ death was caused by an industrial disease, concluding that he had died due to natural causes.