New warning after GHB death

TRAGIC DEATH: Stephanie Balcarras, 22

TRAGIC DEATH: Stephanie Balcarras, 22

0
Have your say

A WARNING was today issued after a St Annes women died taking party drug GHB.

Stephanie Balcarras, 22, was found slumped over a computer at a house on St Annes promenade on October 17 2009.

An inquest yesterday heard Miss Balcarras, of Clifton Drive North, died from poisoning by alcohol and GHB or its liquid form GBL.

GHB has been described as a “coma in a bottle” and produces an effect like alcohol intoxication or sedation.

The post mortem report said the combination of the drug and alcohol caused “significant respiratory repression” which led to a coma then death.

Blackpool Coroner Anne Hind said: “This drug is available on the streets and taken recreationally with disastrous consequences.

Recording a verdict of death by non dependent drug abuse, Mrs Hind said: “Stephanie was not what you would call a drug addict. If she had a long history of dependency on drugs, that would have been reflected in the verdict.

FOR THE FULL STORY PICK UP A COPY OF FRIDAY’S GAZETTE.