CAMPAIGNERS against a second controversial housing development on Marton Moss have warned developers “enough is enough”.
It comes as Blackpool Council look set to knock back a bid to build 83 houses at Runnell Farm, Chapel Road, by Kensington Developments.
The developer, who last year won a planning battle to build 584 houses on Moss House Road, re-submitted the application this month.
They want outline planning permission for up to 83 two-storey homes with access from Midgeland Road on the land, comprised of four fields used for grazing horses which is officially defined as a countryside area.
A site layout plan submitted with the application shows internal roads leading to the edges of the site suggesting “the applicant envisages another phase of development at some point in the future” according to a report.
But council planners are recommending the application is refused when it goes before the committee on Monday.
They warn it would constitute piecemeal development and put a strain on community facilities.
And 11 objections have been received from local residents.
Angelia Hinds of the Save Our Moss campaign group, says there are enough housing schemes in the pipeline to meet needs.
Those include 2,000 possible new homes on land at Whyndyke Farm and up to 200 on the Pontins site, as well as the Moss House Road development.
She said: “The fact planning permission has been given for 584 homes at the Moss House Road site greatly increases the over-supply and removes any need for this development.
“The developments at Whyndyke Farm and Pontins will contribute greatly in rectifying the housing imbalance in Blackpool, on whose boundaries both these sites sit, rather than the Fylde.”
Local resident, Elva Knott, said she was despairing of the number of applications Kensington were willing to go through.
She said: “It’s obvious from what the council has said they intend to turn it down for some very valid reasons, a lack of facilities and green space – enough is enough. I didn’t think they would allow this development because of the number of empty houses in the area.”
Blackpool South MP Gordon Marsden said he did not think the applicants had done anything to address the main issues which led to it being turned down in the first place.
He added: “There was nothing to say the homes would be affordable or any suggestion it would be offset by affordable housing elsewhere.
“There are real issues regarding suitability of the land for this sort of development.”
A report by planners says: “Although a development of 83 new homes may not, in itself, require the provision of new community facilities such as schools, medical centres or leisure facilities, it could place additional strain on existing provision.
“This application does not propose any community facilities as part of the scheme.”
Kensington Developments did not wish to comment.